The deadline for 2011 EcoStar Grant applications closes on March 10, 2011, which is only days away. If you’re still wondering whether your nonprofit organization would qualify for an EcoStar grant of up to $5,000 for implementing an environmental stewardship projects, see below for more details about how the program has helped organizations throughout the nation since it was established in 2010.
Kids4Trees – Spring 2010 Program
Location: Glendora, CA
- Over 3,700 elementary school students and scouts were able to plant over 4,800 trees under mentorship of the USDA Forest Service, in partnership with the San Bernardino National Forest Association, the World Olympians Association, and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
- The trees are located in and around forests in California, Mississippi, Virginia, and Colorado
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory – A Community Effort to Restore Eelgrass Beds in Frenchman Bay Location: Salisbury Cove, ME
Focus: Community Activism
- Twenty-five students, teachers, and community members worked side-by-side with scientists to help restore 87 acres of eelgrass beds through the Community Environmental Health Laboratory.
- Volunteers conducted water quality tests, mapped current and former eelgrass beds, harvested and restored them and educated the community about the value of the beds.
Chesapeake Ecology Center – Demonstration Gardens and Site Enhancements
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD
- Landscaping/rainscaping included a 10-acre demonstration site, with over 30 native auxiliary plant demonstration Garden Sites, including tours and educational programming.
- General conservation landscaping activities included removing invasive species and adding native trees, shrubs, and perennials throughout the grounds.
- Rainscaping practices included installing rain gardens, rain barrels, permeable pavers, and native trees and shrubs.
- Over 320 volunteers and students promoted conservation landscaping/rainscaping by providing garden tours, mini workshops, and “learn-while-work” sessions.
Home Energy Efficiency Team – Youth Audit Partners
Location: Somerville, MA
Focus: Energy Efficiency
- Home Energy Efficiency Team- Youth Audit Partners were “efficiency ambassadors” who helped to inform tenants and homeowners about the available rebates, tax incentives, and programs they can access through MassSave and Cambridge Energy Alliance for more extensive audits and professional services.
- The teams also installed low-cost energy saving devices: programmable thermostat, compact fluorescent light bulbs, etc.
YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas – Creating Eco Stars
Location: Dallas, TX
Focus: Education- Dallas, TX
- Green Team Ambassadors, composed of youth and teens from the YMCA, educated participants from Teen Camp, Counselors in Training and Day Camp, documenting their journey on blogs and leading community presentations.
- The results helped the YMCA reduce its energy use by 10 percent.
Beyond the projects highlighted above, the 2010 EcoStar program supported 62 projects in 14 states. To view the full list of 2010 recipients, go here.
To qualify for an EcoStar Grant, a project should be located in an area where Constellation Energy does business. To find out where we do business, go here.
Click here to review project criteria and to apply online.