Data + Analytics: Connecting Energy Usage to Your Business Goals
No matter a company’s shape, size or type, they are continuing to balance multiple business goals, including their energy procurement strategy. Organizations need to review, interpret and understand how their energy consumption aligns with their goals in order to be successful. Some of these goals may include:
- Reducing expenses: In uncertain economic times, understanding your energy patterns and how they may be able to save you money is extremely beneficial.
- Improving sustainability: It is no longer just large businesses that aim to reach lofty sustainability goals. Beginning with efficiency and demand reduction, sustainability is another task that relies on understanding your energy trends.
The first step in understanding energy consumption is to review and analyze energy use data, which can be time-consuming, costly and challenging–and very few companies are equipped to handle this in-house. To take on this task effectively, analytics platforms have become increasingly important tools for addressing energy expenses and enabling companies to decrease their environmental footprints.
Energy analytics allow businesses to generate insights and inform strategies that can lead to both cost savings and sustainability. At a high level, these platforms allow customers to aggregate, simplify and ultimately optimize their energy usage, including:
- Aggregate and verify energy bills. Manually reviewing bills across multiple utility providers creates room for error. Data platforms compile all line items on your energy bill to create standardized review and analysis of usage, as well as verify each item for accuracy. After aggregating items on your bill, the platform will compare and verify the proper utility tariffs for your facility.
- Simplify user experience. The best data platforms provide an intuitive user experience. Standardizing your energy bill across multiple utilities provides a simpler review and analysis of your energy usage and expenses. Further, platforms can create a comprehensive expense profile with custom reporting on your data based on tailored goals.
- Create strategies for optimizing carbon footprint. The first step in developing a sustainability plan is understanding your baseline and tracking towards your goals (e.g. carbon-free by 2030 or 2050). Beyond simplifying the user experience, energy data platforms provide that baseline and insights into areas for improvement or energy efficiency opportunities. Data platforms are especially helpful for franchise, university and other organizations with large and widespread energy consumption. Data insights can compare a company’s various facilities to identify trends or changes in energy usage, then inform strategies for optimization.
Among these increasingly popular data management platforms is Pear.ai, which is fully automated. Manually reviewing and tracking energy usage creates room for human error, makes it difficult to identify accuracy of bills and wastes resources that can be applied to other operations. Digitizing these activities provides detailed information and analytics that allow customers to see energy data by line item, meter and location–creating efficiencies in energy usage, but in company resources as well.
Pear.ai is uniquely equipped with its own virtual energy expert, “Sam,” which can help customers quickly generate custom energy insights. For example, Sam can respond to conversational queries about your data, instead of waiting to receive reporting information. Sam will also follow up with users on any issues and other proactive insights that may affect and improve energy usage.
Constellation and the Pear.ai platform can give meaning to all of your energy data. To start proactively taking control of your energy data with the Pear.ai platform, contact us today.